Monday, December 14, 2009

Architectural Movements


Functionalist Architecture: "There should be no features about a building which are not necessary for convenience, construction, or propriety. All ornament should consist of enrichment of the essential construction of the building" Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin

Futurist (sorry Marinetti) and Expressionist architecture doesn't really float my boat. Modern architecture - the Lever House and the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright or Bauhaus - I am really drawn to.

I find Postmodern architecture vile- Portland Building, Sony Building etc.

I think being in LA is effecting me. Some of the Googie (populuxe/doo-wop) architecture is rad. When it's not over-done.

Also looking at Deconstructivism & (as a result) non-Euclidean geometry.

I'll keep it chronological. On to Kenneth Frampton, "Critical regionalism is an approach to architecture that strives to counter the placelessness and lack of meaning in Modern Architecture by using contextual forces to give a sense of place and meaning" This concept interests me most, and perhaps because it is a movement that is still alive, There's classic examples such as Aalto and Leiviskä, and although I don't like the Sydney opera house, Utzon.

No comments: